Monday, January 28, 2013

Dickens Map

The Dickens book I chose was Tale of Two Cities. I had already sort of read it last semester, but I didn't really get into it too much. It's like I barely skimmed the surface of what the book is about. So this time I'm going to read it in depth, and comprehend it better! :) Every night I'm going to read at least 5 chapters, slowly but surely, and take notes as well to help me later.

Here are some questions I think I'll be able to answer when I'm done.

1. Trace the development of the major theme of the story-rebirth through sacrifice-as it applies to:

2. What allusions does Dickens make to the approaching French Revolution?

3. Dickens seems to have great sympathy for the poor, the sick and the powerless, but not all such characters are portrayed sympathetically. What does that say about his sympathies? Where does he intend our sympathies as readers to lie?

4. Describe parallelism in Dickens' style and identify examples of it in the novel.

5. How do Dickens' characters conform to the literary conventions of his day?

I think we should have essay questions and prompts to write to about the Dickens' books, that way we can demonstrate our understanding of the two novels. Hopefully once I finish I'll be able to post my answers to these questions to show how well I understood it myself. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment