Wednesday, January 23, 2013

AP Lit Terms 6-30 Remix

I'm in a bit of a Harry Potter mood, so let's remix this business. :) I'm also not posting the definitions because come on. We're in AP English, we should already know all of these. But if you need a refresher, check out Preston's page.
Analogy: 
Lion is to Gryffindor as Snake is to Slytherin.

Analysis:
This website proclaims itself to be "the ultimate Harry Potter analysis source." Check it out for yourself!

Anaphora:
Okay so it's hard to find Harry Potter related anaphora. I'm sure J.K. Rowling uses it in her book, but it would take me a little while to find it. Here's a song that uses anaphora: Pushing Me Away by Linkin Park. The word "why" is repeated at the beginning of a couple of verses.


Anecdote:
Here's an anecdote a person submitted for a Harry Potter anecdote contest. I personally think it should have deserved 1st place instead of 2nd! See for yourself!

Antagonist:
I'm sure you all can guess this one.

Antithesis:
I would say that the characters Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort are good examples of antithesis. They are exact opposite character types, and emphasize the good and bad in each other.


Aphorism:
So there is no aphorism that I can think off the top of my head from Harry Potter, and skimming through the book did not help either. I do know of one by Benjamin Franklin that I do like. "Lost time is never found again." :)

Apologia: 
I was able to find an apologia written by a woman named Nancy Flanagan Knapp titled "In Defense of Harry Potter: An Apologia." In this work, she defends the books, saying they should be kept in schools and librarys as they are engaging to read, great literary works, and bring forth questions of great significance to children. It's a good read! 

Apostrophe:
This reminds me of Harry conversing with the Sorting Hat in his first year. Although the hat talks back, Harry still is talking with an inanimate object. 

Argument(ation):
J.K. Rowling is having been quoted to say that the books "comprise 'a prolonged argument for tolerance, and they should question authority'". (source)

Assumption:
I know quite a few people who assume that Harry Potter is too violent and too full of death for it to be suitable for children. As a person who started reading the series at age 10, I don't think it's the case at all. I was not at all negatively affected reading the books. As for the movies, I don't think that they're too violent or too graphic for younger people.

Audience:
Potterheads! :D

Characterization:
I think the characterization of Harry Potter himself is most apparent throughout the series. He starts off as this young boy with an unfortunate life who gets the opportunity of a lifetime to attend Hogwarts. Through all his adventures he is revealed to be a strong leader, courageous and caring.

Alright, I know there's a lot more lit terms, but I have to go eat dinner and do some other stuff. I'll be back to do more later! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment