Sunday, February 24, 2013

Brave New World I

Now this book is pretty interesting. And by interesting I mean KINDA WEIRD. I wasn't expecting this to be a science fiction kind of book! It makes me much more eager to read more. A quick summary of the first chapter seems to begin with a tour of a factory that is in charge of making human beings starting with the embryos and continuing on to make thousands of boys and girls to be separated into different castes. This tour is being given to a group of boys, and since they don't seem to react in an astonished or frightened way, I assume this has been going on for a long time. The style of this writing is so descriptive, and even used some words that I had to look up to remind myself of what it meant. One of the first sentences in the chapter was really descriptive and drew me in. "Cold for all the summer beyond the panes, for all the tropical heat of the room itself, a harsh thin light glared through the windows, hungrily seeking some draped lay figure, some pallid shape of academic gooseflesh, but finding only the glass and nickel and bleakly shining porcelain of a laboratory." I mean, come on! That's a work of art there. Looking forward to reading more!

No comments:

Post a Comment