Monday, October 22, 2012

Vocabulary #9 The Remix

I thought for my remix I would just put the words into sentences a young teenage girl might say, sometimes they turn out quite ridiculous!

Abortive: Failing to produce the intended result
    My best friend's abortive attempt at getting that guy's number was soooo embarrassing; he was only eleven years old!

Bruit: Spread a report or rumor widely
    Oh my god, Becky totally bruited around the school saying I kissed Kevin! That was totally not okay!!

Contumelious: (Of behavior) scornful and insulting
    Some guys at this school act like such contumelious idiots sometimes, and I know they will never get girlfriends if they keep acting so insulting, ugh!

Dictum: A formal pronouncement from an authoritative source
    Principal McCarthy's dictum about nutrition was sooo lame; I totally texted the whole time, teehee.

Ensconce: Establish or settle:
    The teacher had my friend and I "ensconce our differences" and "learn to accept each other's differences." Yeah, right.

Iconoclastic: Characterized by attacks on established beliefs or institutions
    My parents are so iconoclastic, always picking on what I wanna do or say... it's so irritating sometimes.

In medias res: A narrative that begins somewhere in the middle of a story rather than the beginning
    So Jennifer and I were talking when Alicia jumps into the conversation and starts telling a story in media res, and we're like HOLD UP, start from the beginning, girl!

Internecine: Destructive to both sides in a conflict
    I don't care about what they're fighting about since it's gonna end up internecine to them all anyways.. the teachers are definitely gonna come and suspend them!

Maladroit: Ineffective or bumbling; clumsy
    Haha, Andrew gets so maladroit when I'm around; he obviously likes me.

Maudlin: Self-pityingly or tearfully sentimental, often through drunkenness
    Brittany becomes a huge maudlin mess when she drinks too much, and she cries way too much about how she loves me and wishes she was as great as me. Maybe if she didn't drink so much she could be...

Modulate: Exert a modifying or controlling influence on
    I try NOT to modulate my group of friends, but they act like such sheep sometimes that it's hard not to tell them what to do.

Portentous: Done in a pompously or overly solemn manner
    Hannah needs to learn to not live life in such a portentous way. I mean, there are lots of things to enjoy or laugh at!

Prescience: The power to foresee the future
    Remember the show with that girl who had prescience and would always get into random situations? What was it called? Oh yeah, That's So Raven!!!

Quid pro quo: A favor or advantage granted in return for something
    Telling some good gossip about my friend Brittany is quid pro quo for learning about how awful Melanie acts behind my back.

Salubrious: Health-giving, healthy
    Cutting back on those cars is definitely salubrious, and it keeps me in good shape.

Saturnalian: Of unrestrained and intemperate jollity; riotously merry; dissolute
    I love it when partys can be so saturnalian, and everyone can just go crazy all night!

Touchstone: A standard or criterion by which something is judged or recognized
    Why does everyone always use that old touchstone to judge me?  It's a new era people, let's start judging by some other kind of rules.

Traumatic: Emotionally disturbing or distressing
    It was SOOOOO traumatic when I broke that nail, I almost broke down in the middle of the hall and cried.

Vitiate: Spoil or impair the quality or efficiency of, the legal validity of
    My science partner was angry when I fixed our project, saying that I was "vitiating" it and ruining our chances of getting an A.

Waggish: Humorous in a playful, mischievous, or facetious manner
    I can get a little waggish when boys are involved, but they find it cute no matter what I do.

Okay, so as I got further and further into the list, my teenage girl became a real mean girl. I shouldn't be watching Mean Girls so much! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment